Welcome to South East Devon Wildlife. We are an organisation created to protect internationally important nature reserves for future generations. We work for East Devon, Exeter and Teignbridge councils, in partnership with Natural England, the Pebblebed Heaths Conservation Trust, Devon Wildlife Trust, RSPB, and the Exe Estuary Management Partnership.
With a growing population, there will be more recreational pressure on significant conservation sites at Dawlish Warren, East Devon Pebblebed Heaths and the Exe Estuary. Protecting these sites for residents and visitors alike, is important for a number of reasons including providing safe areas for all users to enjoy and caring for the wildlife they support.
More information about the need for our work and the research behind it can be found in the South East Devon European Site Mitigation Strategy and the Pebblebed Heaths Visitor Management Plan.
There is so much amazing wildlife to be seen on all of our nature reserves. We have created lots of activities and information for you to make the most of your next trip to the countryside or to find out more about the wonderful wildlife that lives right on your doorstep.
A raft of measures are being carried out to protect the sites, these include:
- Two Wildlife Wardens delivering a programme of education for visitors to the three sites.
- Dawlish Countryside Park – a brand new 65-acre green space for people to enjoy.
- Wildlife refuges near Dawlish Warren and Exmouth to protect wildlife by providing space for protected birds. These are outside the areas used for leisure.
- Updated codes of conduct for all the different types of groups using the Exe Estuary, Dawlish Warren and East Devon Pebblebed Heaths so they can use the areas safely, within the law, in consideration of other users, and at the same time protect nature.
- A patrol boat on the Exe Estuary, to keep all users safe and protect wildlife.
- Visitor access improvements on the East Devon Pebblebed Heaths.
- Devon Loves Dogs – a free membership scheme to encourage responsible dog behaviour and protect the countryside.
East Devon Pebblebed Heaths
There doesn't seem to be any events coming up soon. Please check back later.